Saturday, September 17, 2011

Prejudiced parents

  I have recently discovered a new type of prejudice.  By reading two blogs (that hardly makes me an expert, I know) by parents with autistic children, I have learned what some, at least this one and her readers, think of those parents who have what they call "typical" kids.  In this particular post, she writes that "Typical Parents Are a Bunch of Drunken Pussies." (If you don't understand this, please don't look it up.)
  This sickens me. And it isn't just one post; she is constantly bashing "typical" parents and their "angelic" kids. She has this air of, "My life is harder, so I can say whatever I want," about her writing.
WRONG.
  Life is not about who has it the worst. No one can judge that. For example, I know it's hard raising an autistic child, but is it really harder than raising my sister? The girl who started dating (which means, of course, going behind my parents' backs with boys) when she was in elementary school. The girl who snuck out at all hours of the night to be with the boyfriend who was four years older than her. The one who blank-faced lied to her parents, cursed at her mother (a cardinal sin in my book), hit her little sister (that would be me), and did everything else she could to provoke. Why? Her biological father, a sociopath and a druggie, left when she was three. Not because her mother remarried to a good-hearted, Christian man who loved them both with his whole heart. And you think my parents had it easy?  Now this one riles me. With this post, "typical" parents are reduced to ignorant jerks. Just because someone is blessed doesn't mean that he or she doesn't sympathize with your situation! There are ignorant Philistines out there who think that autism is just faulty parenting, but you cannot judge everyone by the few morons.
  And this. That comment by j* made me so incredibly upset. "Typical" parents have it easy, huh? Why are "typical" parents so unhappy?
  Because, creep, we all live in the same devastating world with the same terrible problems. Do you want to know why my mama took "happy pills" for a while? I was eleven in 2005, but I remember the grief around me after my aunt died. She was my father's big sissy and my mother's best friend since school. That means they were friends for more years than I care to count.
  Same year, quite soon after my aunt's sudden death (in which she left behind four children, three of them minors, and many, many loved ones), my sister moved out. Eighteen, just graduated, and angry at the world, she barely came around the house anymore. She got a "roommate" named Jessica, and they later "came out." Now, she got over that phase relatively quick and went back to men, not that her choices with them were much better.  (Now, I love my sister, and she has really turned her life around.  I forgive her choices, and I know that God does too, so there is no more judgement here, only a stating of facts.)
  So all of this is going on, and my parents get some medication from their doctor. Because they're DEPRESSED. And, no, they don't have any autistic children. Do you still think your life is harder? Still think you have more stress?
  Thankfully, we have Jesus to level us out, but that doesn't mean that life is a cakewalk. This prejudice against "typical" people has me shaking with anger, just like almost all other prejudices will do to me. You have a right to your own opinion, but treat others around with the respect that all human beings deserve. That is the only way to ensure tolerance and a fair world, which we all long for, even if it is in secret

No comments:

Post a Comment